Skip to Content

Center for Teaching Excellence

  • USC Students Horseshoe

Help with Student Issues

USC has a wealth of resources available to assist faculty and staff in addressing a range of student issues that may arise.

For all immediate emergencies, dial "911" on any campus or off-campus phone. If you suspect a student of possible future self-injurious behavior (e.g. suicidal thoughts) or erratic behavior (e.g. violence to others) notify the Student Care and Outreach Team.

Up front, it is important to establish expectations and ground rules for class discussions, tardiness, safety and other concerns. If a disruptive situation develops and is non-threatening, minor, and/or annoying, it is best to correct it gently and directly. If the behavior is repetitive (within that same class period), or if student(s) are disruptive and disrespectful, it is recommended that the faculty member speak directly and informally (privately when possible) with the student or students involved. If the disruptive behavior continues, the instructor may issue a written formal warning, and also contact the Office of Student Judicial Programs to determine how to best address the issue.

Faculty should be familiar with the University’s Honor Code and ensure that students are too. There are a number of ways that you can promote the Honor Code in your classroom, such as including academic integrity statements on the syllabus and tests, and discussing academic integrity in class.

Faculty, instructors, and campus partners can Submit  an Alert on behalf of students to the Student Success Center for academic and/or financial support at any time through the EAB/Navigate platform.

The Student Success Center has a service called Success Consultations wherein they discuss academic decision making and skill development with students.

College life can be a difficult adjustment. Often, it is the faculty and staff who provide the link between students and Counseling and Psychiatry. You can suggest that the student call Counseling and Psychiatry to make an appointment or utilize Thrive@Carolina for additional mental health access and resources. If the situation is a life-threatening emergency, call 911. If the situation is not life-threatening but urgent, call Counseling and Psychiatry at 803-777-5223 or use our 24/7 Support Line at 833-664-2854.

Any student who desires accommodation due to a disability must be registered with the Student Disability Resource Center. This office will give the student an official "letter to the faculty" which explains the necessary accommodations. Students present the letter and discuss accommodations with you so that you are aware of which accommodations have been approved for the individual student. If you need assistance in providing reasonable accommodations for any student please contact the office at 777-6142. Faculty are also encouraged to refer students to the office for assistance. 

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.