Skip to Content

My Palmetto College

Summer Financial Aid

Summer is designed to help you meet your academic goals and program completion timelines. To assist you with meeting you goals we offer financial aid through the summer as well.  For financial aid purposes, each module of summer (Maymester, Summer I, and Summer II) is combined into one single term. 

For Financial Aid purposes, summer is considered to be the end of the academic year. Therefore, the eligibility of each student aid applicant for summer funds is based upon each student's remaining annual limits for grants and loans, also all summer sessions are combined into one processing term. 

To be considered for federal financial aid for summer, you must have a current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) [the one used to award the preceding fall and spring semesters] on file. In addition to the FAFSA, a USC Financial Aid Summer Application is required each summer.

The summer application is available April 1st. The priority deadline to complete the application is May 15. Because of compressed time frames for summer, our office must adhere to strict application deadlines. However, the application will remain on the web through July 10 and these late applications will be processed on a case by case basis.   

Summer Financial Aid

If you plan to attend classes during the summer session, you may be eligible for financial aid.

How to Apply for Summer Aid?

  1. If you haven’t already, submit a 2023-24 FAFSA.
  2. To submit a 2024 Summer Application, click on the link below for your campus then choose your aid year (2023-24):
  1. If you haven’t already, meet with your advisor and enroll in your summer classes.

How Much Financial Aid Can I Receive?

For financial aid purposes, summer is considered a part of the current academic year. Your eligibility will be based upon your remaining annual limits for grants and loans.  Additionally, your eligibility depends on your enrollment in summer classes. For example, to be considered for Federal Direct Loans and Federal Work-Study, you must enroll in at least six credit hours.

Please indicate the number of planned hours for summer.  If your plans change, you need to make the Financial Aid Office aware of these changes, as it may affect your financial aid.

Do you wish to be considered for Federal Direct Loans?

You must be enrolled for at least 6 hours.  The Federal Direct Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) will be processed for the maximum base eligibility allowed subject to annual and aggregate loan limits that are based on your academic grade level, your dependency status, and the length of your academic degree program.  Students who are currently receiving a Federal Direct Loan and who have not received their maximum for the academic year may have remaining eligibility.

Additional Loan Information

  • Based on eligibility all summer loan awards are prorated.  Summer loan amount will not exceed half of the yearly maximum.
  • Summer loans are disbursed in at least two installments (May and June) for the Salkehatchie and Union campuses.

If you are a first-year, first-time loan borrower you must wait 30 days for the 1st loan disbursement.  This applies to 1st time borrowers attending Salkehatchie and Union campuses.

Can My Parent(s) Apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan?

The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a credit based low interest loan available to the parents of dependent undergraduate students who plan to enroll in at least 6 hours during the summer session.  You will still need to submit a FAFSA for the current academic year and complete an Institutional Summer Financial Aid Application.

Due to the credit expiration date by the Department of Education, your Parents must complete a new plus credit application for the summer term.

If your parent did not apply for a Parent Loan for fall/spring terms, they must complete a credit application and a Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note (eMPN) at the Department of Education’s website.

How Do I Apply for a Private Educational Loan?

We encourage you to apply for and accept Federal Grants and Loans, including the Federal Direct PLUS Loan first if you are eligible. However, we understand that you might need additional assistance. To apply for a Private Educational Loan, you will need to apply directly with the lender of your choice. These are credit-based loans, and you may need a cosigner. If you are approved, your lender will notify the school who will determine your eligibility based on the information you provided on your Institutional Summer Financial Aid Application. For more information about Private Educational Loans, click here.

What Happens If I Don’t Attend or If I Withdraw After Classes Begin?

The University of South Carolina expects its students to commit to their education by attending class and participating in course activities. This means that you must adhere to the university’s attendance policy, which you can find in the Academic Bulletin for your campus.

  • If you enroll in summer classes then decide not to attend, you are required to immediately notify both the Financial Aid Office and the Registrar’s Office for your campus to begin the withdrawal process.
  • If you drop below six hours of enrollment, you may become ineligible for financial aid and may even be required to repay funds you received. If you plan to drop a class, contact the Financial Aid Office immediately.
  • If you completely withdraw prior to the 60% point of the summer session(s) you are scheduled to attend, you may owe a repayment of financial aid funds. If you plan to withdraw from the university, contact the Financial Aid Office immediately.
  • If you plan to withdraw from the university, you must officially withdraw through the Registrar’s Office. Not doing so may result in failing grades, which can limit your eligibility for aid in the future. You may also become ineligible for financial aid and be required to repay funds you received.
  • If you earn a combination of failing grades (F’s, FN’s, U’s, UN’s, NR’s, W’s, or WF’s) in ALL your classes and receive federal financial aid, you may be required to repay any aid you received.

Withdrawing from classes or failing to complete classes will affect your future eligibility for financial aid.

 What about Satisfactory Academic Progress?
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be completed when spring grades are posted in May. Any student not meeting the SAP policy who has had financial aid awarded for summer will have their financial aid canceled immediately, and therefore, may owe a bill for summer. Detailed information on SAP can be found at Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP).

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.