Any student enrolled at the University of South Carolina may choose this minor except for students with majors in the School of Information Science.
Informatics opens up a vast landscape of career opportunities, including:
- Software developers
- Data scientists
- User experience designers and researchers
- Product managers
- Knowledge managers
- Information architects
Required Courses (9 Hours)
- ISCI 201 - Introduction to Information Science
Major concepts, principles, theories, issues, and trends in the development of Information Science.
- ISCI 301 - Information Storage and Retrieval
Introduction to the concepts, issues, theories, and techniques of information storage and retrieval systems.
- ISCI 434 - Introduction to Knowledge Discovery
The students will review knowledge discovery basics concepts, techniques, tools, and applications. This course is project based and the students will develop new Wikipedia pages by reading papers in a selected domain.
Electives (9 Hours)
- Select 9 hours from any additional ISCI courses.