College of Engineering and Computing
Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Professor, Electrical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Enrico Santi received the B.S. degree from the University of Padua, Italy, the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Caltech (California Institute of Technology) in Pasadena, California, all in Electrical Engineering. He has over 25 years of experience in research and development in power electronics, both in industry and in academia. He worked in industry for five years as a Senior Design Engineer, involved in the design of various power supplies for telecommunications and computers, and of electronic ballasts for avionics. He has over 200 publications, three books and four patents. He is currently Transaction Review Chair of the Power Electronics Devices and Components Committee of the IEEE Industry Applications Society. He has been Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics and the IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications. His area of research is power electronics. It is a growing research area with many applications from renewable energy to transportation to the power grid. In particular, penetration of power electronics is leading to revolutionary changes in the nature and characteristics of the utility power grid, providing significant research opportunities. His research interests are in control of power electronics power distribution systems, system identification of power electronics systems, physics-based modeling of power semiconductor devices, and modeling and simulation.
- Control of multi-converter systems: model the emergent behavior due to interactions among closed-loop-controlled interconnected converters and devise control strategies to improve stability and performance.
- Novel control and system identification techniques in power electronics: methods to perform online stability measurements and control adaptation to improve system stability.
- Applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning in power electronics: application of digital twin and deep learning techniques to power electronics systems.
- Two-phase cooling for power electronics systems: two-phase cooling has the potential to significantly reduce converter system size and weight and improve reliability.
- Physics-based modeling of power semiconductor devices: develop, implement and validate physics-based models for various bipolar and unipolar power semiconductor devices both in silicon and wide bandgap materials such as silicon carbide and gallium nitride.
- Modeling and simulation: multi-physics modeling and simulation of power electronics systems.
- Ph.D., Caltech, 1994
- M.S., M.S., Caltech, 1989
- M.S., B.S., University of Padua, Italy, 1988
- A. Khodamoradi, H. Abdollahi, E. Santi and P. Mattavelli, "A Loop Gain-Based Technique for Online Bus Impedance Estimation and Damping in DC Microgrids," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 9648-9658, Aug. 2021
- T. Roinila, H. Abdollahi and E. Santi, "Frequency-Domain Identification Based on Pseudo-Random Sequences in Analysis and Control of DC Power Distribution Systems: A Review," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 3744-3756, April 2021
- Andrew S. Wunderlich, Daniel Bauer, Enrico Santi, Roger A. Dougal, Andrea Benigni, Rob Bennett, Luis Zubieta, "Protection Scheme for Fast Detection and Interruption of High-Impedance Faults on Rate-Limited DC Distribution Networks," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 2540-2549, June 2021
- Sonia Perez, Ramchandra Kotecha, Shamim Ahmed, Arman-Ur-Rashid, Md Maksudul Hossain, Tom Vrotsos, A. Matthew Francis, H. Alan Mantooth, Enrico Santi, Jerry L. Hudgins, "A Datasheet Driven Unified Si/SiC Compact IGBT Model for N-channel and P-channel Devices," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Volume: 34 , Issue: 9, Pages: 8329 – 8341, 2019
- Hessamaldin Abdollahi, Silvia Arrua, Tomi Roinila, Enrico Santi, "A Novel DC Power Distribution System Stabilization Method Based on Adaptive Resonance-Enhanced Voltage Controller," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Volume: 66 , Issue: 7, Pages: 5653 – 5662, 2019
- T. Roinila, H. Abdollahi, S. Arrua and E. Santi, "Real-time Stability Analysis and Control of Multi-Converter Systems by Using MIMO-Identification Techniques," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Volume: 34, Issue: 4, Pages: 3948 – 3957, 2019
- Antonino Riccobono, Marco Cupelli, Antonello Monti, Enrico Santi, Tomi Roinila, Hessamaldin Abdollahi, Silvia Arrua, Roger A. Dougal, “Stability of Shipboard DC Power Distribution - Online Impedance-Based Systems Methods,” Electrification Magazine, Sept 2017
- T. Roinila, T. Messo, E. Santi, "MIMO-Identification Techniques for Rapid Impedance-based Stability Assessment of Three Phase Systems in DQ Domain," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Early online access, 2017
- J. Siegers; S. Arrua; E. Santi, "Stabilizing Controller Design for Multi-Bus MVDC Distribution Systems Using a Passivity Based Stability Criterion and Positive Feed-Forward Control," in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics - Special Issue on Emerging Electric Ship MVDC Power Technology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 14-27, March 2017
- Kang Peng, Soheila Eskandari, and Enrico Santi. “Characterization and Modeling of a Gallium Nitride Power HEMT,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 4965-4975, Nov.-Dec. 2016
- J. Siegers, S. Arrua, E. Santi, "Stabilizing Controller Design for Multi-Bus MVDC Distribution Systems Using a Passivity Based Stability Criterion and Positive Feed-Forward Control," in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics - Special Issue on Emerging Electric Ship MVDC Power Technology, vol.PP, no.99, pp.1-1
- Ozan Gulbudak, Enrico Santi, “FPGA-Based Model Predictive Controller for Direct Matrix Converter,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, Iss. 7, pp. 4560 - 4570, 2016
- H.A. Mohammadpour, M. M. Islam, E. Santi, Y. J. Shin, “SSR Damping in Fixed-Speed Wind Farms using Series FACTS Controllers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 76-86, Feb. 2016
- H. A. Mohammadpour, E. Santi, “Optimal adaptive sub-synchronous resonance damping controller for a series-compensated doubly-fed induction generator-based wind farm,” IET Renewable Power Generation, Feb. 2015
- H. A. Mantooth, K. Peng, E. Santi, J. L. Hudgins, "Modeling of Wide Bandgap Power Semiconductor Devices—Part I," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol.62, no.2, pp. 423-433, Feb. 2015
- E. Santi, K. Peng, H.A. Mantooth, J. L. Hudgins, "Modeling of Wide-Bandgap Power Semiconductor Devices—Part II," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol.62, no.2, pp. 434-442, Feb. 2015
- I. Nam, R. Dougal, E. Santi, "Novel Unity Gain Frequency Tracking Control of Series-Series Resonant Converter to Improve Efficiency and Receiver Positioning Flexibility in Wireless Charging of Portable Electronics," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 385-397, 2015
- H. A. Mohammadpour, E. Santi, “Modeling and control of gate - controlled series capacitor interfaced with a DFIG-based wind farm," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1022- 1033, Feb. 2015
- H. A. Mohammadpour, E. Santi, “SSR Damping Controller Design and Optimal Placement in Rotor-Side and Grid-Side Converters of Series-Compensated DFIG-Based Wind Farm," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Jan. 2015
- H. A. Mohammadpour, A. Ghaderi, E. Santi, “Analysis of sub-synchronous resonance in doubly-fed induction generator-based wind farms interfaced with gate controlled series capacitor ," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 1998-2011, Dec. 2014
- R. Fu, A. E. Grekov, K. Peng, E. Santi, "Parameter Extraction Procedure for a Physics-Based Power SiC Schottky Diode Model," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol.50, no.5, pp.3558-3568, Sept.-Oct. 2014
- A. Riccobono, E. Santi, "Comprehensive Review of Stability Criteria for DC Power Distribution Systems," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol.50, no.5, pp.3525-3535, Sept.-Oct. 2014
- D. Martin, E. Santi, “Autotuning of Digital Deadbeat Current Controllers for Grid-Tie Inverters Using Wide Bandwidth Impedance Identification,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Volume: 50, Issue: 1, pp. 441-451, 2014
Books and Book Chapters
- Hossein Ali Mohammadpour, Enrico Santi, Analysis of Sub-synchronous Resonance (SSR) in Doubly-fed Induction Generator (DFIG)-Based Wind Farms (Synthesis Lectures on Power Electronics), Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2015
- Tanya K. Gachovska, Bin Du, Jerry L. Hudgins, Enrico Santi, Transient Electro-Thermal Modeling on Bipolar Power Semiconductor Devices (Synthesis Lectures on Power Electronics), Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2013
- Tanya K. Gachovska, Jerry L. Hudgins, Enrico Santi, Angus Bryant, Patrick R. Palmer, Modeling Bipolar Power Semiconductor Devices (Synthesis Lectures on Power Electronics), Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2013
- Santi, S. Eskandari, B. Tian, K. Peng, “Power Electronic Modules,” Power Electronics Handbook 4e, Ch. 6, Elsevier, 2018
- L. Hudgins, E. Santi, A. Caiafa, K. Lengel, P.R. Palmer, “Thyristors,” Power Electronics Handbook, Ch. 3, pp. 27-54, Academic Press/San Diego, 2001, Invited Contribution
- Smedley and E. Santi, “AC-DC Power Converters,” Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, John Wiley & Son, New York, March 1999
- Santi, “Electronic Transformers,” Encyclopedia of Applied Physics, Vol. 22, pp. 85-112, Wiley VCH, Weinheim, 1998
- US Patent Number 5969484: E. Santi, Z. Zhang, S. Cuk, "Electronic ballast", Oct. 19, 1999.
- US Patent Number 5790005: E. Santi, S. Cuk, "Low profile coupled inductors and integrated magnetics", Aug. 4, 1998.
- Circuits - ELCT 221
- Electronics Laboratory - ELCT 301
- Electronics - ELCT 371
- Electromechanical Energy Conversion - ELCT 553
- Power Electronics - ELCT 572
- Advanced Electronics - ELCT 575
- Advanced Power Electronics - ELCT 772
- Modern Control Theory - ELCT 837
- Grid-connected Power Electronics - ELCT 891
- Nonlinear Control - ELCT 891O