- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Yongjin Hwang M.S., Ph.D.
Faculty and Staff
Yongjin Hwang, M.S., Ph.D.
|Department:||Sport and Entertainment Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Ph.D., Sport and Entertainment Management, University of South Carolina
M.S., Music Technology, New York University
B.S., Business Administration, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
Yongjin Hwang received his bachelor’s degree in business administration from Sungkyunkwan University, after which he moved to the United States to become an audio engineer. While working at Flux Studios in New York City, Hwang completed a master’s degree in music technology at NYU. As a result of his educational experience, Hwang decided to combine the two degree subjects together as a doctoral student at USC in the Department of Sport and Entertainment, where he now serves as an assistant professor with the department.
- Sensory branding
- Event experience management
- Esports consumer behavior
- SPTE 202 – Introduction to Live Entertainment Management
- SPTE 404 – Promoting Entertainment Events
- HRSM 700 – Quantitative Methods
Honors / Awards
- 2018, winner, Best Paper Award, Sport Entertainment and Venues Tomorrow conference
- 2016, winner, Outstanding Student Paper Award, Sport Marketing Association Conference
- 2016, third place, Outstanding Student Research Presentation, College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- 2007-2009, honoree, Sungkyunkwan University Honors Program Scholarship
Professional Affiliations and Consulting Experiences
- Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association, 2018-present
- North American Society for Sport Management , 2015-present
- Sport Marketing Association, 2015-present
- Sport Entertainment and Venues Tomorrow, 2015-present
Selected Research Publications
Hwang, Y., & Ballouli, K. (2021). More than meets the eye: Developing and validating a venue stimuli-local image fit scale. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 30(4), 289-304. http://doi.org/10.32731/SMQ.304.1221.04
Hwang, Y., & Ballouli, K. (2019). Contemporary issues and opportunities for university branding through fight songs. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 13(2), 85-97.
Hwang, Y., Ballouli, K., So, K., & Heere, B. (2017). Effects of brand congruity and game difficulty on gamers’ response to advertising in sport video games. Journal of Sport Management, 31(5), 480-496. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.2017-0022