- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Md. Rafiqul Islam Rana M.S., Ph.D.
Faculty and Staff
Md. Rafiqul Islam Rana, M.S., Ph.D.
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
|LinkedIn:||My LinkedIn profile|
- Ph.D., Human Environmental Sciences, Emphasis in Textile and Apparel Management, University of Missouri
- M.S., Textile and Apparel Management, University of Missouri
- B.Sc., Textile Technology, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh
Md. Rafiqul Islam Rana is an assistant professor in the Department of Retailing at the University of South Carolina. Rana joined the department after receiving his master’s and Ph.D. in textile and apparel management from the University of Missouri. He also holds a B.Sc. degree in textile engineering, majoring in fabric manufacturing technology. Before joining academia in the U.S., Rana worked in multiple full-time positions as a knitwear merchandiser, sourcing executive, product developer, and production planner in Bangladesh for three years, which provided him with a holistic understanding of both the upstream and downstream supply chain of the fashion industry. He incorporated his real-life professional experience in the classroom while teaching courses such as global sourcing and multinational retailing.
Rana’s research is a blend of supply chain management in the textile and apparel industry, emerging retail strategies and digital innovation, consumer behavior in omnichannel settings, fashion informatics and sustainability. His research has been published in leading journals such as International Journal of Consumer Studies, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, and International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education. In addition, he was honored to receive the best paper awards at both master’s and doctoral levels from International Textile and Apparel Association.
Along with research and teaching, Rana is a proponent of inclusive excellence: diversity, equity and inclusion in both higher education and the industry.
In the Media
- Best Store Credit Cards: WalletHub
- Emerging Retail Strategies
- Supply Chain Management
- Omnichannel Consumer Behavior
- Fashion Informatics
- RETL 385 – Global Sourcing in Retail and Fashion
- RETL 485 – Multi-National Retailing
Honors / Awards
- Doctoral best paper winner (2022). International Textile and Apparel Association
- Mizzou 18 (2022). Mizzou Alumni Association, University of Missouri
- Lois Dickey Fellowship: Outstanding Doctoral Student (2021). International Textile and Apparel Association
- Distinguished Graduate Research Award (2021). College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri
- Master’s best paper winner (2019). International Textile and Apparel Association
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
Youn, S. Y., Rana, M. R. I., & Kopot, C. (2022). Consumers going online for big-box retailers: Exploring the role of feeling disconnected during a pandemic. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 46(6), 2383-2403. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12793
Rana, M. R. I., & Ha-Brookshire, J. (2020). The relationships between buyers' mediated power and suppliers' psychologically defensive workplace behavior: Case of Bangladeshi apparel manufacturing firms. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 24(2), 195-211. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-06-2019-0111
Rana, M. R. I., & Ha-Brookshire, J. (2019). New conceptual framework for fashion business ideation, negotiation, and implementation undergraduate curricula for sustainable development. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 12(2), 140-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2018.1534003
Islam, M. T., Rashid, M. R., & Rana, M. R. I. (2016). Influence of different chemical treatments on the properties of PC fabric used as lining. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 28(6), 726-735. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCST-05-2015-0062
- International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA)
- American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA)
- Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Honor Society