- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- William A. Sutton Ed.D.
Faculty and Staff
William A. Sutton, Ed.D.
|Title:||Professor of Practice
|Department:||Sport and Entertainment Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Ed.D., Sport Studies and Higher Education, Oklahoma State University
M.S., Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Oklahoma State University
B.A., Political Science, Oklahoma State University
William A. Sutton is professor of practice in the Department of Sport and Entertainment Management. Sutton is a former NBA executive, a distinguished academician and a proven sports marketing practitioner who brings a half-century of experience in the sport industry. Sutton is the founder and principal of Bill Sutton & Associates, a consulting firm specializing in strategic marketing, revenue enhancement and organizational chemistry. He has held previous academic appointments at Robert Morris University, the Ohio State University, the University of Massachusetts – Amherst, the University of Central Florida and most recently the University of South Florida, where he served as director and professor emeritus at the Vinik Sport and Entertainment Graduate program.
His consulting clients include the NBA, NFL, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia 76ers, Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Mets.
He served for six years as NBA vice president, team marketing and business operations, assisting teams with teams with marketing related functions such as sales, promotional activities, market research, advertising, customer service, strategic planning and staffing.
Sutton has authored more than 200 articles (refereed and non-refereed) and has made more than 300 national and international presentations. He is a past president of North American Society for Sport Management and a founding member and past president of the Sport Marketing Association and the Sport Marketing Quarterly — a publication where he has also served as co-editor. He is also a featured author for Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal, where his Sutton Impact column is a monthly feature.
Sutton’s career also includes service as a special events coordinator for the city of Pittsburgh and commissioner of the Mid-Ohio Conference. A native of Pittsburgh, Sutton holds three degrees (B.A. 1972, M.S. 1980, Ed.D. 1983) from Oklahoma State University, where he was inducted into the College of Education Hall of Fame in 2003. Sutton is also an inaugural member of the Robert Morris University Sport Management Hall of Fame and recipient of a lifetime achievement award from the Southern Sport Management Association. The Sport Marketing Association created the Sutton Award to honor his accomplishments linking academia to the sport industry.
In the Media
- Sportswashing: The term might be new but not the activity: Sports Business Journal
- Visit of Students and Professors from South Carolina University: Lancashire Cricket Club Spin Magazine
- A remote sales staff? It’s working in Orlando with creative approach: Sports Business Journal
- Legends of the #SportsBiz: Wait…What? Podcast
- American students get a lesson in true amateurism: Sports Business Journal
- "I Learned More About Cricket This Week Than I Learned in My Entire Life": CricketNext and News18.com
- Under Armour’s Charece Williams Gee on networking, purpose and perspective: Sport Business Journal
- Are you comfortable singing alone?: Sports Business Journal
- A collegiate Super Conference makes too much sense to ignore: Sport Business Journal
- Your Bucket List can be a guiding force for life’s adventure: Sport Business Journal
- Kahler and Sutton, two longtime sports business educators, start new gigs for the fall: Sports Business Journal
- Bill Sutton gets new gig at South Carolina: Sports Business Journal
- Former NBA Executive joins UofSC Sport and Entertainment Management Faculty: ColaDaily
Teaching and Administrative Positions
- Current director and professor emeritus, sport management, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 2020
- Professor and director, Vinik Sport and Entertainment Graduate Program, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 2012-20
- Professor and associate department head, DeVos Sport Management Graduate Program, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, 2003-12
- Associate professor, Sport Managment, University of Massachusetts - Amherst, Massachusetts, 1993-2001
- Assistant professor and program director, Sport Management, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1986-90
- Assistant professor, Sport Management, Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1982-86
- Sports Business Journal columnist, 2003-present
- Bill Sutton & Associates, Tampa, Fla., 2006-present
- Vice president, team management and business operations, National Basketball Association, New York, New York, 1999-2006
- Vice president, information services, Del Wilber + Associates, St. Louis, Missouri, 1990-93
- Member, Sport Marketing Association
- Founding member and past president, SMA
- Past president, NASSM
- Founding member and co-editor, Sport Marketing Quarterly
Honors / Awards
- Robert Morris University Sport Management Hall of Fame
- Centenary Sport Management Hall of Fame
- Oklahoma State University College of Education Hall of Fame
- Oklahoma State University Distinguished Alumni Award
- University of South Carolina SEVT Lifetime Achievement Award