The program is offered three times a year, with a minimum of six students per cohort.
- Winter 2023: Jan. 4 to May 5
- Spring 2023: March 8 to July 6 (Tentative dates)
- Fall 2023: Aug. 15 to Dec. 9
Each semester consists of two terms where participants will receive classes of:
- Intensive English, English training classes from Monday to Friday.
- Interdisciplinary technical English classes in crisis leadership, customer service, market research, and social media trends
Once participants complete the program, they will have two certifications (double certification):
- Certification of the level of English achieved
- University of South Carolina SmartState Tourism Certification for Service Professionals (Crisis Leadership, Customer Service, Market Research, and Social Media Trends)
The program has two components:
- In-person intensive English course at the University of South Carolina campus
- Professional intensive English course for service industry professionals
ILTISIP does not require an English proficiency baseline. Participants in the program will be placed in courses according to their current English skills.
The program provides a double international certification for 1) in English language proficiency; and 2) in Service Training from the SmartState Tourism center.
All participants, once on campus in South Carolina, are considered part of the institution as English language learners under the F1 study visa.
The list of participants must be provided at least two months before launching the course to avoid delays in the delivery of invitations and visa procedures.
- Participants must provide proof of funds
- Participants will need to meet the State Department’s health insurance requirements.
Minimum Insurance Coverage: Insurance will cover:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person for accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000; and
- Costs related to medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000.
- Additional Terms: A policy insured to meet insurance requirements will not have a deductible exceeding $500 per accident or illness and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.
- Maintenance of Insurance: Your willful failure to maintain the required insurance during your stay in the United States will result in termination of your program.
- EPI Certification of the level of English achieved
- SmartState Tourism Certificate
- Transportation on Campus and to campus lodging (via Shuttle)
- Access to libraries and digital resources on campus
- Access to shared office space
- Access to all public events on campus
- Visitor access to hospitality and tourism management, subject to instructor approval
The cost of the program for six students is broken down into two items:
- Tuition $5,100 per student
- Lodging at campus $4,000 per student
The total per student if accommodation is required is $9,100.
Sample Student Schedule
|9:00 a.m.||Writing / Grammar||Writing / Grammar||Writing / Grammar||Writing / Grammar||Writing / Grammar|
|10:40 a.m.||Reading / Vocabulary||Reading / Vocabulary||Reading / Vocabulary||Reading / Vocabulary||Reading / Vocabulary|
|12:00 p.m.||BREAK||BREAK||BREAK||BREAK||No classes, free time (lunch, community service, sports, shopping trips, etc.)|
|1:20 p.m.||Speaking / Listening||Speaking / Listening||Speaking / Listening||Speaking / Listening|
|3:55 - 5:10 p.m.||(non-EPI course ENFS)*||(non-EPI course ENFS)*||(non-EPI course ENFS)*||(non-EPI course ENFS)*|
*ENFS is a support class for USC international students.
- Visa procedures (but all documentation is provided for the procedure)
- Food costs