Skip to Content

My Arnold School

Advisement and Registration Instructions

Advisement Process

Each semester all graduate students will need to be advised prior to registering for courses. In addition to meeting with your academic advisor, each student must complete an advisement form. The form must be signed by you, your advisor, and submitted to the Office of Graduate Student Services for advisement holds to be lifted. (PHYT, COMD, ATEP and EXSC students submit forms to their academic unit for processing.) Signed forms may be emailed to the Office of Graduate Student Services at You should list the name of the instructor for all courses. If known, also list the section and course registration number (CRN) – this information will be verified by the Office of Graduate Student Services and listed on the approved advisement form. A scanned copy of the form will be emailed to your account once processed. If taking an Independent Study course, note that an Indepenent Study Contract will be required. Please review the instructions and links below for more information about registration.

Registration Process


Self-Service Carolina is the university's interactive website where you will manage your academic, financial, and personal information. You will need to claim and manage your account through before accessing Self-Service Carolina.

Please follow the four steps in the order presented.


Refer to communication from your program to determine course selection and advisement before registration.

How to Register for Classes? Self Service Carolina has a Registration window with multiple options to select. Start with "Look Up Classes" to view course offerings and proceed from there.

New Self Service Carolina Tutorial Videos:


Additional Registration Details

  • Check Self Service Carolina for your time ticket (registration appointment time).
  • Go to: for information about payment deadlines.
  • If a student is dropped for non-payment and re-enrolls in classes after the payment deadline, these students and any students registering for the first time will need to pay their account balance in full or enroll in the University’s payment plan option by the drop/add date to retain their class schedule.
  • Students who have been dropped for non-payment who request to be re-enrolled in their classes AFTER the last day to drop/add must submit a Registration Exception Form (AS-199) and will be assessed a $75 reinstatement fee.
  • Late Registration: you can register yourself during the drop/add period. After that period, you will be required to submit a Registration Exception Form.
  • With the implementation of ‘On Your Time Carolina’ and multiple terms per semester, you are encouraged to review the ‘Part of Term Dates’ associated with your specific section to ensure you meet deadlines. Part of Term calendars may be viewed at:
  • Some courses have restrictions or special permissions. If you attempt to register for a course listed on your approved advisement form and are unable to register, please contact the Office of Graduate Student Services and provide details of the error message posted in SSC. If a course is full (indicated by the letter ‘C’ listed beside the section in the first column labeled ‘Select” in SSC), a capacity override will only be processed with written approval from the instructor.
  • Students can drop a course or withdraw with a grade of W or WF via Self Service Carolina. Deadlines for dropping a course without receiving a W and WF, as well as refund dates, are determined by the part of term to which a course is attached. Every part of term during a semester has a drop/add deadline. Should you wish to withdraw from a course with a grade of W or WF, a grade of W or WF will be recorded on your transcript. A grade of W will not be calculated in your GPA, but will be recorded on your permanent record. Courses dropped after the WF deadline will be recorded as a WF on your permanent record. The grade of WF is treated as an F in the calculation of your GPA. The WF deadline will vary based on the part of term for your class.
  • Health Insurance: the following groups of students are required to show proof of health insurance as a condition of enrollment: undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in 6 or more credit hours, students with a graduate assistantship, students in the School of Medicine enrolled in 1 or more hours, international students. Students must either enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or waive the plan by showing proof of their own health insurance. Answers to common questions are available by visiting or If students do not waive out by the deadline or do not have adequate health insurance coverage, students will be enrolled in the university-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, and the premium fee will remain on their tuition bill.
  • If a course is not posted in the “Look Up Classes” section of SSC, you may register using the
    CRN provided on your advisement form. Go to Student>Registration>Register for
    Classes>Select Term>Enter CRNs tab.
  • Courses with adjustable credit hours will default to 1 hour. To adjust:
    • Sign into SSC and select the Student tab
    • Select the Registration menu then select Register for Classes
    • Once the effective term is entered, all registered courses for that term will appear.
    • Select the Schedule Options tab and there will be a hyperlink for any course with variable credit hours.
    • Click the link and update the credit hours for the specified course.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.