Maternal, Infant, and Child Nutrition
Preventing Childhood Obesity
Cutting Edge Research
Researchers in the Consortium work to understand how nutritional components interact with a variety of contexts, including political, physical, economic, and social structures.
|Project Title||Contact PI / Project Leader||Funding IC(s)|
|Expanding the reach of the Nutritious Eating with Soul (NEW Soul) program: A Type 2 hybrid effectiveness-implementation trial||Brie Turner-McGrievy||NHLBI|
|Ensuring the cultural relevance of Dietary Guidelines diet patterns among African Americans: Increasing dietary quality and reducing type 2 diabetes risk||Brie Turner-McGrievy||NIDDK|
|Developing a Community-Informed, Peer-to-Peer Intervention to Improve Health-Related Quality of Life among African American Men||Guillermo Wippold||NIMHD|
|Impact of Disparities in Food Security on Glycemic Control and Health CareUtilization Among Youth and Young Adults with Diabetes||Angela Liese||NIDDK|
|A Transdisciplinary Approach to Investigating Metabolic Dysregulation in Obese Parent and Child Dyads and Risk of Colorectal Cancer||James Hebert||NCI|
|Understanding Community Obesity Initiatives and Informing Tailored Community Interventions to Reduce Childhood Obesity||Russell Pate||NIDDK|
|What's UP (Undermining Prevention) with Summer? Etiology of Accelerated Weight Gain during Summer vs. School Year||Michael Beets||NIDDK|
|Evaluating nutrition labeling policy changes in the US and Mexico.||Jim Thrasher||NIDDK|
|Targeting important behaviors for weight loss through the use of social gaming and points: The Social Pounds Off Digitally (Social POD) study||Brie Turner-McGrievy||NIDDK|
|USC PRC Center and Core Research Project: National Implementation Study of the Faith, Activity, and Nutrition (FAN) Program||Sara Wilcox||NCCDPHP|
|Reducing Health Disparities in Childhood Obesity Using Financial Incentives in Low-income Households||Michael Beets||NIDDK|
|Spillover Benefits: The Impact of Summer Programming on Parental Rules and Routines Associated with Children's Obesogenic Behaviors||Layton Reesor-Oyer||NIDDK|
|A nutrition-based approach to reduce heart disease risk among overweight African Americans: Use of soul food plant-based or omnivorous diets to address cardiovascular disease||Brie Turner-McGrievy||NHLBI|
|Periodontal antibodies to predict Alzheimer's disease mortality||Anwar Merchant||NIA|
|Using CGM technology to assess acute impact of food insufficiency and food insecurity on glycemic control in persons with youth-onset type 1 and type 2 diabetes (115200-22-59896)||Angela Liese||Prisma Health - Upstate|
|DiCAYA: South Carolina Youth||Angela Liese||CDC/HHS|
|Using causal mediation models to examine multi-sectoral health and nutrition program impact paths and moderation by agricultural interventions and equity||Edward Frongillo||HKI/LSHTM|
|Food is Medicine: Randomized Trial of Medically-Tailored Food Support for Diabetes Health||Edward Frongillo||The Regents of the University of California, San Francisco/NIH|
|Linkages between nutritional outcomes and food and nutrition security||Edward Frongillo||ERS/USDA|
|Promoting Nutrition Security by Examining the Relationships between Food Insecurity and Nutrition and Health Indicators in Federal Data||Edward Frongillo||ERS/USDA|
|The Effect of Social Capital on Global Food Security||Edward Frongillo||ERS/USDA|
|Improving WIC Services: Identifying Children at Risk for Obesity in the First 24 Months of Life||Edward Frongillo||NHLBI/NIH|
|Redesigning GMPs to improve nutrition, health and dvelopment of children||Edward Frongillo||IFPRI/BMGF|
|Role of the Autonomic Nervous System in Gastrointestinal Inflammation and Colorectal Adenoma Risk - Subcontract with VCU||James Hebert||NCI/NIH|
|Maternal and Child Health Catalyst Program||Jihong Liu||HRSA/HHS|
|Maternal and Child Health LEAP Program||Jihong Liu||HRSA/HHS|
|Women in Control of Diabetes (WICO): a Team-based Novel Care Model Targeted at Reducing Treatment Barriers Experienced by Women Across the Lifespan||Jihong Liu||Prisma Health Midlands/BCBS|
|Cause and Effect Relationships Between Glycation and the Ancestry Specific Tumor Stroma||Susan Steck||NCI/NIH|
|Increasing Low-income Children's Access to Healthy Structured Programming to Reduce Obesity||Glenn Weaver||NIDDK|
|Project: Transforming Agrifood Systems in South Asia (TAFSSA)||Christine Blake||IFPRI|
|SNAP-Ed Evaluation||Carrie Draper||SCDSS/USDA|
|Food is Medicine SC Landscape Assessment and Evaluation Capacity Building||Carrie Draper||SCRF/BCBS|
|Randomized controlled trial of the effect of intravenous iron on anaemia in Malawian pregnant women (REVAMP)||Leila Larson||The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research/Gates Foundation|
|Consultancy for the Joint Interventions to Improve Birth Outcomes and Nutrition Research Project in Bangladesh||Leila Larson||IFPRI/BMGF|
- Abshire DA, Wippold GM, Wilson DK, Pinto BM, Probst JC, Hardin JW. A qualitative study of ecological and motivational factors to inform weight management interventions for Black men in the rural South of the United States. Social Science & Medicine. 2023;326:115898. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2023.115898
- Alaimo K, Beavers A, Coringrato E, Hebert JR, et al. Community Gardening Increases Vegetable Intake and Seasonal Eating From Baseline to Harvest: Results from a Mixed Methods Randomized Controlled Trial. Current Developments in Nutrition. Published online April 15, 2023:100077. doi:10.1016/j.cdnut.2023.100077
- Biggs BK, Rodgers KV, Nayman SJ, Wilson DK, et al. Translation of a family-based behavioral intervention for adolescent obesity using the RE-AIM framework and common steps from adaptation frameworks. Translational Behavioral Medicine. Published online April 13, 2023:ibad022. doi:10.1093/tbm/ibad022
- Bueno Ferreira L, Nunes dos Santos T, Cosenza G, Hebert JR, et al. The Association of the Inflammatory Index of the Maternal Diet with the Type of Delivery, Maternal Nutritional Status, and the Lipid Profile of Human Milk. Breastfeeding Medicine. 2023;18(4):291-299. doi:10.1089/bfm.2022.0182
- Choi SW, Sreeja SR, Le TD, Shivappa N, Hebert JR, Kim MK. Association between inflammatory potential of diet and periodontitis disease risks: Results from a Korean population-based cohort study. J Clin Periodontol. Published online April 21, 2023. doi:10.1111/jcpe.13817
- Gainfort A, Delahunt A, Killeen SL, Hebert JR, et al. Energy-adjusted Dietary Inflammatory Index in pregnancy and maternal cardiometabolic health: Findings from the ROLO study. AJOG Global Reports. Published online April 24, 2023:100214. doi:10.1016/j.xagr.2023.100214
- Ho FK, Wirth MD, Parra-Soto S, Hebert JR, et al. Dose-response associations of dietary inflammatory potential with health outcomes: A prospective cohort study of 198,265 UK Biobank participants. Current Problems in Cardiology. Published online April 29, 2023:101774. doi:10.1016/j.cpcardiol.2023.101774
- Jackson MK, Lappe J, Ma J, Hebert JR, et al. Changes in Dietary Inflammatory Index Score over Time and Cancer Development in Rural Post-Menopausal Women. Antioxidants. 2023;12(4):946. doi:10.3390/antiox12040946
- Momodu OA, Horner RD, Liu J, Crouch E, Chen B. Participation In CenteringPregnancy Program And Pregnancy-Induced Hypertension. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Published online April 25, 2023. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2023.04.010
- Palar K, Sheira LA, Frongillo EA, et al. Longitudinal Relationship Between Food Insecurity, Engagement in Care, and ART Adherence Among US Women Living with HIV. AIDS Behav. Published online April 17, 2023. doi:10.1007/s10461-023-04053-9
- Pasricha SR, Mwangi MN, Moya E, Larson L, et al. Ferric carboxymaltose versus standard-of-care oral iron to treat second-trimester anaemia in Malawian pregnant women: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 2023;0(0). doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(23)00278-7
- Rampalli KK, Blake CE, Frongillo EA, Montoya J. Why understanding food choice is crucial to transform food systems for improvement of human and planetary health. BMJ Global Health 8:e010876, 2023. https://do.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2022-010876
- Saul AM, Taylor BV, Blizzard L, Hebert JR, et al. A pro-inflammatory diet in people with multiple sclerosis is associated with an increased rate of relapse and increased FLAIR lesion volume on MRI in early multiple sclerosis: A prospective cohort study. Multiple Sclerosis Journal. 2023;0(0). doi:10.1177/13524585231167739
- Weaver RG, White JW, Finnegan O, Beets MW, Adams EL, Bastyr M, et al. Understanding Accelerated Summer Body Mass Index Gain by Tracking Changes in Children’s Height, Weight, and Body Mass Index Throughout the Year. Childhood Obesity. Published online April 19, 2023. doi:10.1089/chi.2023.0029
- Zhao L, Kase B, Zheng J, Steck SE. Dietary Patterns and Risk of Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analyses of Observational Studies. Curr Nutr Rep. Published online April 25, 2023. doi:10.1007/s13668-023-00469-w
American Society for Nutrition 2022
- Alexandra Pepetone, Edward Frongillo, Michael Wallace, David Hammond, Sharon Kirkpatrick. Household Food Insecurity in Middle- and High-Income Countries Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 155, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac051.071
- Bezawit Eyob Kase, Angela Liese, Jiajia Zhang, E Angela Murphy, Longgang Zhao, Susan Steck. The Development and Evaluation of a Literature-Based Dietary Index for Gut Microbiota. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 371, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac054.026
- Bezawit Eyob Kase, Leila Larson, Edward Frongillo, Wendy Gonzalez, Irowa Erhabor, Eric Djimeu. Effectiveness of the Eggs Make Kids Demand-Creation Campaign to Improve Household Availability of Eggs and Egg Consumption in Young Children in Nigeria. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 669, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac061.053
- Brittany Crawford, Dale Sandler, Anwar Merchant, Susan Steck, Yong-Moon Park, Dietary Patterns, Socioeconomic Status, and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in the Sister Study. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 7, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac047.007.
- Brittany Crawford, Dale Sandler, Hazel Nichols, Ginger Milne, Susan Steck, Yong-Moon Park. Association Between Healthy Dietary Patterns and Markers of Oxidative Stress.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 355, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac054.010
- Elizabeth Adams, Melanie Bean, Roddrick Dugger, Tegwyn Brickhouse. Patterns of Food Security and Dietary Intake Among Children Across the U.S. Child Tax Credit Expansion. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 188, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac048.002
- Hilary Bethancourt, Edward Frongillo, Sara Viviani, Carlo Cafiero, Sera Young. Household Water Insecurity Is Positively Associated With Household Food Insecurity in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 549, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac060.007
- Hope Bercaw, Andrea Brown, Beth Reboussin, Jason Mendoza, Edward Frongillo, Katherine Sauder, Anna Bellatorre, Amy Shah, Tiffany Luong, Santica Marcovina, Angela Liese. Health-Related Social Needs and Diet Quality in Youth and Young Adults with Youth-Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Cross-Sectional Findings From the SEARCH Food Security Cohort Study. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 885, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac067.005
- Sejla Isanovic, Edward Frongillo, Shilpa Constantinides, Shiva Bhandari, Samin Sharraf, Emma Kenney, Christine Blake. Perspectives about Food Safety in Diverse Low- and Middle-income Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 488, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac059.016
- Shiny Drew, Christine Blake, Eva Monterrosa, Krystal Rampalli, Abdullah Nurus Salam Khan, Ligia Reyes, Salome Bukachi, Mariah Ngutu, Edward Frongillo, Elyse Iruhiriye, Amy Girard, Paula Dominguez-Salas. How Schwartz’ Basic Human Values Influence Food Choices in Kenya and Tanzania. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 479, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac059.007
American Diabetes Association 2022
- Andrea D. Brown, Jason A. Mendoza, Edward A. Frongillo, Kate Flory, Beth A. Reboussin, Elizabeth T. Jensen, Lawrence M. Dolan, Anna Bellatorre, Faisal Malik, Santica M. Marcovina, Catherine Pihoker, Angela D. Liese; 570-P: Household Food Insecurity, Stress, and Anxiety among Youth and Young Adults with Diabetes. Diabetes1 June 2022; 71 (Supplement_1): 570–P. https://doi.org/10.2337/db22-570-P
- Katherine A. Sauder, Deborah H. Glueck, Kylie K. Harrall, Ralph Dagostino, Lawrence M. Dolan, Abbi Lane-Cordova, Angela D. Liese, Eva Lustigova, Faisal Malik, Santica M. Marcovina, Elizabeth J. Mayer-Davis, Amy K. Mottl, Catherine Pihoker, Kristi Reynolds, Amy S. Shah, Elaine M. Urbina, Lynne E. Wagenknecht, Stephen R. Daniels, Dana Dabelea; 1085-P: Exploring Racial And Ethnic Disparities In Arterial Stiffness In Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes1 June 2022; 71 (Supplement_1): 1085–P. Https://Doi.Org/10.2337/Db22-1085-P
American Association for Cancer Research 2022
- Longgang Zhao, Lina Jin, Jessica L. Petrick, Fenglei Wang, Tang Li, Hongmei Zeng, Stephanie A. Smith-Warner, A. Heather Eliassen, Fang Fang Zhang, Peter T. Campbell, Edward Giovannucci, Linda M. Liao, Susan E. Steck, Katherine A. McGlynn, Xuehong Zhang; Abstract 730: Fruit and vegetable consumption and risk of liver cancer and liver disease mortality: A prospective cohort study. Cancer Res15 June 2022; 82 (12_Supplement): 730. https://doi.org/10.1158/1538-7445.AM2022-730
Agriculture, Nutrition, and Health Academy Week 2022
- “Food choice decision-making in the context of changing livelihoods in low- and middle-income countries” By Krystal Rampalli, Sharraf Samin, Emma Kenney, Shiva Bhandari, Ligia I. Reyes, Abdullah N.S. Khan, Edward A. Frongillo, Christine E. Blake. ANH Academy Week 2022. (Poster prize winner).
American Society for Nutrition 2021
- Alhabas M, Frongillo EA, Blake CE, Fram M, Sahyoun N. Understanding Food Insecurity Resilience of Refugee Families in the United States. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 96.
- Armendariz G, Frongillo EA, Reyes LI, Bonveccho A, Blake CE. Role of Alternative Caregivers in Food Choices for Young Children in Semi-urban and Urban Mexico. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 959
- Constantinides SV, Blake CE, Frongillo EA, Thow AM, Avula R, Liese A. The Role of Stakeholder Framing in Nutrition Agenda-Setting to Address the Double Burden of Malnutrition in Tamil Nadu, India.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 637, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzab045_019
- Constantinides SV, Bhandari S, Kenney E, Frongillo EA, Blake CE. Perspectives on Food Safety and Their Influence on Food Choice in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 550.
- Frongillo EA - V. McCollum International Lectureships in Nutrition - How and Why Did Food Insecurity of Households and Individuals Become So Important? Nutrition 2021 Live Online Award Lecture.
- Jensen ML, González W, Bolaños C, Monge R, Frongillo EA. Implementation of a regulatory food policy to reduce availability of energy-dense foods in Costa Rican high schools. Public Health Nutrition doi:10.1017/S1368980021003013
- Larson L, Feuerriegel D, Hasan MI, Jin J, Braat S, Shiraji S, Tofail F, Biggs B-A, Pasricha S-R, Hamadani J, Johnson K, Bode S. Effects of Supplementation With Iron Syrup or Iron-Containing Multiple Micronutrient Powders on Neural Indices of Cognitive Functioning in Bangladeshi Children.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 656
- Rampalli K, Blake CE, Frongillo EA, Erickson K, Laar A. Perspectives of Urban Ghanaian Adolescents on Healthy Eating Habits.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 564
- Reyes LI, Bhandari S, Constantinides SV, Frongillo EA, Blake CE. Recommended Actions in Global Nutrition Initiatives That Link Food Environment and Food Choice. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 565
- Zhao L, Tyson N, Liu J, Hébert J, Steck S. Trends in Dietary Supplement Use Among US Adults Between 2009 and 2018.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 701
American Diabetes Association 2021
- Lauren Reid, Alice Ellyson, Faisal Malik, Beth Reboussin, Marco Geraci, Anwar T. Merchant, Santica Marcovina, Eva Lustigova, Jason Mendoza. Food Insecurity and Glycemic Control Among Youth and Young Adults with Type 2 Diabetes. Oral Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
- Hope D. Bercaw, Lauren A. Reid, Angela D. Liese, Edward A. Frongillo, Katherine A. Sauder, Jason A. Mendoza, Beth A. Reboussin, Elizabeth J. Mayer-Davis, Dana Dabelea, Santica M. Marcovina, Carla Mercado. Food insecurity and dietary intake adequacy in youth and young adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Poster Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
- Angela Liese, Dana Dabelea, Lawrence Dolan, Leora Henkin, Elizabeth Jensen, Santica Marcovina, Anwar Merchant, Catherine Pihoker, Beth Reboussin, Amy Shah, Allison Shapiro, Greta Wilkening, Jason Mendoza. Household Food Insecurity and Cognitive Function in Youth and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes. Poster Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
- A Danielle Brown, Anna Bellatorre, Lawrence Dolan, Elizabeth Jensen, Faisal Malik, Santica Marcovina, Jason Mendoz. Unmet social needs and depressive symptomatology among youth and young adults with type 1 diabetes. Poster Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
American Public Health Association 2020
- "Building the capacity of South Carolina community pharmacies to intervene on the
social determinants of health" - Indira Gutierrez, BA, Alexandra Scott, BS, Healther McKenzie McNabb, Trista Pfeiffenberger, Brian Clark,
Deborah Bowers, Patrick Brown, Troy Trygstad and Spencer Moore, PhD
- "Does prenatal physical activity modify the association between prenatal stress and
postpartum depression?" - Sabrina Karim, MBBS, MPH, PhD(c), Zaixiao Zhang, MD, MPH, Chelsea Richard, MSPH,
PhD(c), Matthew Lohman, PhD, MHS and Jihong Liu, ScD
- "Examining the relationship between perceived neighborhood characteristics and physical activity behavior among Asian Americans in an urban environment" - Aisha Bhimla, MPH, David B. Sarwer, PhD, Levent Dumenci, PhD, Lois A. Butcher- Poffley, MEd, PhD, Kevin A. Henry, PhD, Andrew T. Kaczynski, PhD and Grace X. Ma, PhD
- "Identifying targets for health promotion efforts designed to reduce food insecurity" - Milen Embaye, MPH, Darcy Freedman, MPH, PhD, David Ngendahimana, MS, PhD, Bethany Bell, PhD, MPH, Hannah Zaim, MPH, Ashley Banks, MPH and Deena Chisolm, PhD
- "Implementing diabetes and heart disease education and management programs in high-burden, underserved South Carolina counties" - Jennifer Mandelbaum, MPH, Kristian Myers, MPH, CHES, Tramaine McMullen, MPH, PhD, Courtney Brightharp, MPH and Kelly Kavanaugh, MPH, CHES
- "Movers and churners: Residential relocation and enrollment discontinuity in a state Medicaid system" - John Stewart, PhD, MPH, Janice Probst, PhD, Ana Lopez De Fede, PhD, Sudha Xirasagar, MBBS, PhD and James W. Hardin, PhD
- "Severe maternal morbidity and poor birth outcomes are interconnected: A call for a paradigm shift" - Hoa Nguyen, PhD, Sarah Gareau, DrPH, MCHES and Ana Lopez De Fede, PhD
- "The national physical activity plan: A framework for pursuing the physical activity guidelines for americans" - Russell Pate, PhD
American Society for Nutrition 2020
- Bhandari S, Frongillo E, Suwal R, Gupta AS, Tiwari NP, Cunningham K. Sustaining Agriculture-Nutrition Interventions: Analysis of Determinants of Village Model Farmer Active Engagement in Nepal. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):811-811. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_016.
- Iruhiriye E, Olney D, Frongillo E. Coherence Among Sectors and Stakeholders Differentiates Districts in Rwanda That Did and Did Not Improve Child Stunting. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):845-845. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_050.
- Jackson E, Liese A, Pihoker C, et al. Association Between Household Food Security and Disordered Eating Behaviors Among Young Adults with Diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):1419-1419. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa061_047.
- Martínez-Jaikel T, Jr. EF, Blake C, Fram M, Murillo-Castro A, Esquivel-Solís V. Promoting Co-Responsibility in the Household and Self-Care Through an Intervention for Food-Insecure Women with Excess Body Weight in Costa Rica. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):236-236. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa043_087.
- Mendes FDC, Thawer S, Shivappa N, Hebert JR, Burney PGJ, Garcia-Larsen V. Dietary Inflammatory Index (DII®) and Lung Function in Adults from Ten European Countries – Evidence from the GA2LEN Follow-Up Survey. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):1393-1393. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa061_021.
- Monalisa N, Frongillo E, Blake C, Steck S, Dipietro R. Food-Choice Values of Elementary School Children and Strategies Used to Influence Mothers’ Food Purchasing Decisions. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):720-720. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa051_017.
- Nguyen H, Frongillo E, Fram M. Adolescent Students Experiencing Hunger Consume Less Healthy Diets: Evidence from
the Global School-Based Student Health Survey in 95 Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):873-873. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_078.
- Reyes L, Frongillo E, Blake C, Moore S, Gonzalez W, Bonvecchio A. Role of Social Networks in Maternal Food Choice for Children Ages 1 to 5 Years Old
in Rural Mexico. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):897-897. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_102.
- Turner D, Krisanits B, Frye C, Nogueira L, Schuster R, Ford M, Omonefe O, Steck S, Peterson L, Lilly M, Thomas C, Ahmed M, Findlay V. Consumption of Dietary Advanced Glycation End Products Promotes Prostate Tumor Growth
by Creating a Tumor Enhancing Stromal Microenvironment. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):359-359. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa044_058.
- Warren A, Constantinides S, Frongillo E, Blake C. Stakeholder Engagement Strategies for Policy and Programmatic Uptake: Lessons from the Drivers of Food Choice Competitive Grants Program. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):920-920. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_125.
American Association for Cancer Research 2020
- Adams SA, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Felder TM, Eberth JM, Heiney SP, Alvarado CR, Hebert JR. South Carolina's National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program narrows
the gap in South Carolina breast cancer disparities. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B008.
- Aguilar DR, Steck SE, Lin H-Y, Su L. Dietary folate and prostate cancer tumor aggressiveness differences between African
Americans and European Americans. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-PR14.
- Alvarado CR, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Heiney SP, Escareno JM, Adams SA. The mediating effect of hormone therapy compliance in the relationship between race
and survival among breast cancer patients in South Carolina: A causal mediation analysis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C019.
- Babatunde OA, Adams SA, Eberth JM, Felder TM, Moran R, Truman SC, Alvarado CR, Hebert JR. Effect modifiers of surgery and adjuvant hormone treatment delays among patients diagnosed
with breast cancer in South Carolina. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B075.
- Blinka M, Cromo M, Houston JF, Dignan M, Vanderford N, Evers BM, Bowie J, Dobs A, Hebert JR, Felder T, Anderson R. Results to date: Efforts to increase cancer health disparities training in Geographic
Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program Region 1 North. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-A068.
- Felder TM, Heiney SP, Rubin L, Friedman DB, Franco R, Hebert JR, Ford ME. “ ‘She was like, “I'm done. I'm not taking this anymore’ ”: Health care provider perspectives
about breast cancer survivors' nonadherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-A069.
- Heiney SP, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Alvarado CR, Adams SA. An investigation of travel distances for breast cancer treatment among a racially
and socioeconomically diverse cohort. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B012.
- Omofuma OO, Steck SE, Troester M, Olshan A. Meat and fish intake and the risk of breast cancer in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study
(CBCS). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C043.
- Omofuma OO, Turner DP, Peterson LL, Merchant AT, Zhang J, Steck SE. Dietary advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) and risk of breast cancer in the Prostate,
Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial (PLCO). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-C033.
- Peres LC, Hebert JR, Qin B, Guertin KA, Bandera EV, Shivappa N, et. al. Dietary inflammatory potential prior to diagnosis and risk of all-cause mortality
among African-American women with ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C044.
- Ranganathan R, Hung P, Adams SA, Hair NL, Bailey SS. Legislation by states and its impact on factors causing divergence in HPV vaccination
coverage: Analysis of 2013-2017 National Immunization Survey - Teens (NIS-TEENS). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi: 10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-A123.
- Truman SC, Babatunde O, Alvarado CR, Heiney SP, Sellner JE, Reiss KE, Adams SA. Predictors of nonadherence to adjuvant hormonal therapy among breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention.2020. doi: 10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B016.
Policy and Practice Briefs
The Consortium was established in 2003 with a mission to create a local, state-wide, national, and global presence that establishes the University as a national leader in nutrition by engaging with community partners, other research institutions, public agencies, and professional organizations. Through this series, the Consortium provides objective, thoughtful analysis on current nutrition-related policy and practice issues from a public interest perspective.
Nutrition Related Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
- Agriculture, Nutrition & Health Academy (ANH)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity (ISBNPA)
- International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB)